Here you can find some suggestions for how to start a new meeting, whether online or a face-to-face meeting in your area. Starting a new meeting is an incredible act of service which can help not only you, but also other struggling addicts in your area.
• The good news is that starting a new meeting is very simple! Anybody, anywhere can start an ITAA meeting – there is no need to receive permission from anybody.
• We recommend reading “A Vision For You” in the Big Book of AA. The chapter is incredibly inspiring and includes practical advice and guidance for those seeking to start new meetings.
• The Twelve traditions of ITAA are useful guides in stewarding a new meeting.
• You only need two people seeking to recover from internet and technology addiction to start a meeting.
• If you are starting a face-to-face meeting, it can be a good idea to look at places where other 12-step meetings are held and ask if they have any space available for you to start a new ITAA meeting. Once you have decided on a location, you can let us know the meeting place, time, and contact details, and we can list them on the face-to-face meetings page. You may also request that an announcement be added to the announcements bulletin board.
• If you are starting an online meeting, send us a message through the contact form on the website and we can add it to the calendar, and if you wish, to the announcements bulletin board. In your message, please include the meeting day and time, the meeting name, and a brief description to include on the event. Please also indicate in your message whether you would like to use one of the two ITAA zoom links (which any member of ITAA may use) or an alternative meeting link. You are also encouraged to read ITAA’s suggestions on meeting security.
• A helpful format for small meetings with just a few people is to read from 12-step literature. You can take turns reading passages and sharing reflections. You can also use or adapt the format we traditionally use in the phone meetings.
• For face-to-face meetings, you can put up flyers; most 12-step clubhouses have a place where you can leave a flyer or list your meeting details.
• If you are starting a face-to-face meeting, you may consider how you can ensure the health and safety of all meeting participants. You are encouraged to follow local laws, regulations, and health policies. You may also consider meeting in an outdoor space.
• Have perseverance, patience, and trust in higher power.
Page last updated on יולי 1, 2023