Many ITAA members find that smartphone addiction is one of their problems. Here are some questions that may help you decide if this is an issue for you.
Smartphone Addiction Test
- Do you check your smartphone as the first thing you do when you wake up, and the last thing you do before going to sleep?
- Do you go to sleep with your phone next to you like a partner?
- Do you instantly grab your phone the second you hear a notification or get a text message?
- Do you feel anxious if you leave the house without your phone or headphones, or if you don’t have it sitting next to you?
- Have you had joint pain or tendinitis from handling and texting your phone excessively?
- Do you crave your phone and the sense of connection it offers when you are away from it?
- How many times has your phone slipped into the toilet or into the food you are eating because you are distracted?
- Do you revert to playing with your phone instead of being present with the people around you?
- Have you tried to limit your phone usage with productivity apps or blocks yet gave in again after mounting frustration?
- Do you feel like you’re not living up to your potential or are you just getting by in life, and drowning this dissatisfaction with ever more staring at your phone?
- Is your hand on your phone, actively or passively, for most of your waking time?
- Would you rather connect to your phone than to most people or yourself?
Smartphone Addiction Recovery
For people who are truly addicted to their phones, working the ITAA program and connecting to other members is vital to our recovery. But for iPhone or Android addiction in particular, there are parental control options that will allow you to cut back on the amount of time you use your device. In the future we will provide information on how to configure those options.