You may be wondering whether you’re a technology addict. The following questions can give you some food for thought and act as a guide to judge your situation. If you answer yes to most of the following questions, ITAA may be helpful for you.
- Do you hide or lie about your technology use?
- Do you feel emotionally absent when you are not using technology?
- Have you ever taken a break from technology use and binged uncontrollably upon your return?
- When upset, do you soothe yourself with technology or plans to use technology?
- Is technology use the first thing you do when you wake up?
- Is technology use the last thing you do before you go to bed?
- Do you set limits around technology use and then break them, using longer than intended?
- Do you lose hours of sleep to technology use?
- Have you called in sick or late to work or skipped classes to use technology?
- Have you sworn off a technology behavior, uninstalled or blocked it, and later returned to it?
- Do you feel guilt and shame around your technology use?
- Does technology use contribute to the avoidance or abandonment of personal relationships?
- Do you find yourself unable to focus on anything other than technology?
- Have you suffered financial or career problems from compulsively using technology?
- Do you wish you weren’t using the technology at the same time as feeling you can’t stop?
- Do you have technology binges that last all night, or for multiple days in a row?
- Do you avoid social events to use technology?
- Do you eat while using technology or forget to eat while using technology?
- Do you have intense feelings (highs, lows, anger, fear) while using technology?
- Do you use technology to numb your feelings?
Most of us who now identify as technology addicts answer yes to many of these questions. If you have answered yes to several of them, you might consider reading our guide for newcomers to begin exploring the practical solutions our program can offer.
Here are some additional questions that can also help you identify further obsessive and compulsive behaviors you might have around technology use. Many of us have answered yes to these questions as well.
- Do you find yourself obsessively researching a topic, product or decision online, beyond any productive return?
- Do you watch videos, movies or tv shows online without being able to stop?
- Do you get get sucked into technology activities without realizing it?
- Do you use technology to disappear from the world?
- Do you binge on technology right before a big deadline?
- Do you neglect personal hygiene when using technology?
- Do you feel irritable and restless when you don’t use technology for a few days, or a few hours?
- Do you envy people who can use technology in moderation?
- Do you feel like you are constantly running out of time?
- Have you suffered any physical pains from intense technology use?
- Is anybody in your life worried by your technology use?
If you answered yes to these questions, we encourage you to participate in our meetings to learn whether this fellowship may help you recover from any problematic or destructive patterns you are suffering from.